Bismillah Ar-Rahman Ar-Raheem
How to Lower our Gaze
“If I were not a Muslim, I would have contacted AIDS!” proclaimed my friend. “The ayahs in Sura Nur about lowering our gazes doesn’t affect me anymore”, expressed another youth, talking about the intense temptations felt by today’s youth. Difficulty in lowering the gaze by both the young and old is readily perceived on the street, weddings, parties and even in the Masjids.
What has gone wrong with our Ummah? Us Muslims, called by Allah, our Creator, as the best Ummah, Model Community, custodians of Truth and the Upholders of Morality behaving in this way? Why are we adopting the attitudes and routes of the Kuffar? How can we rectify ourselves?
What follows are a series of practical, though graphic advice which can work for us and set us free from Satan’s stronghold, insha Allah.
Prophet Muhammad, Sallallhu alayhi wa sallam, by way of warning and as a reminder said: “I have not left a fitnah (trial, calamity or cause for calamity) after me more than (the fitnah) with women for men” (Bukhari and Muslim). Also was related by our Prophet : “The world is sweet and verdant, and Allah having put you in it in your turn watches how you act; so fear the world and fear women, for the first trial of the Bani israel had to do with women” (Muslim)
Being optimistic, a ray of hope was also wisely provided during Prophet’s Last Sermon on way to avoid the above pitfall: “If the Ummah hold on to the Quran and the Sunnah, it will not go astray”.
When Allah created us humans will all the desires and urges, He also revealed to us sufficient and complete guidance to contain them through proper channels. All we need to do is seek this guidance, contemplate on it and implement it. “This day I have perfected you deen for you, completed my favors upon you and chosen Islam as your deen” (5:3)
Realize the fact that the great Sahabas were humans beings too. Biologically they were no different from us, they too had desires and temptations of the human species, and yet they controlled them in the best of ways. We can too, insha Allah. To posses sensual passions is Human, to control them is Muslim.
When confronted with a luring situation, like passing by a non-mahram on the street, office, or a school, Satan is constantly tempting us to glare at her with evil thoughts. Satan is probably excitingly saying with a big smile `Yes’, `Yes’, `Yes’, when we steer into the bait he is setting. During these situations immediately and consciously realize that when we give a second or following glances, we are obeying Satan. “O you who believe, follow not the footsteps of the devil…” (24:21). By immediately averting our gazes and disobeying Satan, we are giving him a one two punch in the face which leaves him frustrated, accursed and defeated.
Satan rebelled and was expelled by Allah, so lets all rebel against Satan and expel him from our hearts. Satan intents to fight a war against the believers, so lets gather our forces behind Quran and Sunnah and defeat him.
Remember that even if no human eye is watching us, the ever watchful Allah is constantly monitoring the innermost regions of our heart. Our eyes, limbs, tongue and private parts will all be witnesses for or against us on the Day of Judgement and not an atoms worth of our deeds will remain unexamined.
Psychologically our minds are conditioned to associate our thoughts of stealing clothes from a store to being in handcuffs and hauled into a police van. Likewise, we should condition our minds to bring the verses of Surah Nur in front of our eyes during any tempting situation and imagine that during that particular instance Allah (SWT) is speaking to us directly: “Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty, that will make for greater purity for them…Say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty…O you believers! Turn you all together towards Allah that you may attain success” (24:30,31). What a beautiful guidance and what a sublime reward for implementing it.
With practice, the above associations and the remembrance of Allah during tempting situations will prevent us from getting stuck by devilish arrows. Successful controlling our gazed also depends upon our avoidance of sinful situations. Al Islamic idiom (Usul Al-Fiqh) says: “Anything that leads to haram is haram in itself”. Therefore cutting any unlawful situation in their bud is what we should strive for. Performance of a pious deed is rewarded and avoidance of a sinful deed is also rewarded, Al-Hamdulillah.
One of the biggest culprits which encourage us to disobey the ayahs in Surah Nur, are the movies. In the name of entertainment, to please our peers and children and as an excuse to do something together as a family, we astonishingly allow the development of un-Islamic scenes and dialogues in front of our eyes. Can we ever imagine (Na’udubillah) any Sahaba renting the latest hit from Blockbuster videos, or listening to music with luring lyrics at high volume?
Likewise, we watch news on TV and stare at the anchorwomen, female gymnasts, and female swimmers who are scantly dressed. Prophet Muhammad, sallallahu alayhi wa sallam, was once approached by a women with a proposal for marriage. He took a single glance at her and turned his face way. Jabir bin Abdullah reported: “I asked Allah’s messenger about the sudden glance on the face of a non-Mahram. He commanded me that I should turn away my eyes” (Muslim). Thus we are not suppose to stare at the faces of non-Mahrams of opposite gender, be they our fellow students, elders, saleswomen or the one of TV.
Pious ladies of the Prophet’s household were even ordered to do purdah in front of a Blind Sahaba. Upon the curious question as to why purdah when the blind Sahaba can’t see them, Prophet wisely replies: “But you could see him” (Ahmed, Trimidhi, Abu Dawood)
Each one of us may have become culprit of not obey the ayahs in Surah Nur. It is not too late to realize these short comings and work at rectifying ourselves. Above all, we should always ask forgiveness of Allah (SWT). Indeed blessed are those Muslims who are able to check their gazes, thus conserving their precious time and energy, and working in the cause of Allah to reclaim our positions as the superpowers of the world.
Let’s contemplate on the above humble advises and constantly make the following supplication: “O Allah help us in controlling our sensual desires until we get married, and after our marriage, let our desires be only towards our spouses…aameen”
Tricks of shaytan
As for the tricks of Shaytaan against you they are seven.
1. He obstructs you from doing acts of obedience . Repel him, if Allah protects you, by realizing that you are in need of these acts of obedience in order to gather provision from this life for the next life which will have no ending.
2. He commands you to procrastinate in acts of obedience . Repel him , if Allah protects you, by realizing that your appointed time is not in your hands and that you could die at any moment.
3. He commands you to rush in acts of obedience by suggesting to you , ” Hurry! In order that you can do so-and-so!” Repel him, if Allah protects you, that realizing that few acts of obedience done with perfection is better than many done incompletely.
4. He commands you to perfect your worship in order to be seen of men. Repel him, if Allah protects you, by realizing that the sight of Allah is enough for you over the sight of men.
5. He whispers arrogance and pride in your heart by saying, ” Who is greater and more precise than your obedience?” Repel him, if Allah protects you, , by realizing that your acts of obedience to Allah is a blessing from Allah, not from yourself. If it were not for the bounty of Allah, you would not be able to establish any act of obedience , which are nothing next to the blessing of Allah Ta`ala.
6. This is the greatest of his tricks, he says to you, ” Make strenuous effort in keeping your obedience of Allah secret. Soon He will make your acts manifest before the world!” Repel him, if Allah protects you, that you are a slave of Allah and that He alone is your Master. If He wills , He will manifest you and is He wills He will keep you concealed. If He wills, He will make you important and if He wills He will make you insignificant. That is for Him to decide, and you should not care whether He manifest your good deeds to people or not, because there is nothing in thier hands worth seeking after.
7. He suggest in your heart, ” There is no need for you to perform acts of obedience to Allah. Truly, if you were created and destined to be among the people of bliss, then there is no danger in you neglecting the acts of worship. And if you were created and destined to be among the people of wretchednedd, then there is no benefit in doing them. Repel him , if Allah protects you, that realizing that you are a slave . And that it the duty of a slave to obey the commands as is the rights to slaveness (`ubuudiyya).
Allah is the Rabb, and He knows the rights of Lordship (rubuubiyya). Thus these acts of obedience will benefit you in every way if you were created and destined to be among the people of bliss. It will benefit you by increasing your reward. And if you were not created and destined for bliss, then in no way Allah will punish you for acts of obedience. These acts of obedience will not harm you. For to be entered into the fire while you are obedient to Allah is more precious to you than you being entered into the fire while you are disobedient.
And how is it possible for you to enter the fire when the Promise of Allah is true and His Words are Truthful. For He has promised a tremendous reward for acts of obedience. Whoever meets Allah Ta`ala while he has faith and obedience will never enter the fire and he has dully earned the Paradise by the Promise of Allah the Truthful and not by any act. It is in that Allah has informed us by His saying, ” Allah`s praises are due to Allah who made good to us His Promise and has made us inherit the earth and we may abide in the Paradise whenever we please. Excellent is the Reward of those who work. 39:74.
Therefore my brothers, wake up! It is as He said. So seek the aid of Allah alone and seek refuge with Him. All matters are in His hands and from Him alone is success. And there is no power nor might except with Allah the Exalted the Great.
Shaykh `Uthman Dan Fodio Tareeqah Al-Jannah Bab Muhaarabatush-Shaytaan-On the War with Shaytaan.
Ten Sicknesses of the Heart…
1. You believe in the existance of Allah (SWT) but you do not fulfil His Commands.
2. You say you love the Prophet Mohammed (SAW) but you do not follow his Sunnah.
3. You read the Holy Qur’an but you do not put it into practice.
4. You enjoy all the benefits from Allah (SWT) but you are not grateful to him.
5. You acknowledge Shaitan as your enemy but you do not go against him.
6. You want to enter Paradise but you do not work for it.
7. You do not want to be thrown into Hell-Fire but you do not try to run away from it.
8. You believe that every living-thing will face death but you do not prepare for it.
9. You gossip and find faults in others but you forget your own faults and habits.
10. You bury the Dead but you do not take a lesson from it.